Friday, November 05, 2004

When a remote tropical island is too remote

This is the second remote tropical island that I've lived on in the past 15 years - the other one was New Guinea (considerably more remote than Sumbawa). I stayed in New Guinea for nine years, and I've been here for 16 months and would like to stay for years if this teaching position works out. So it should be apparent that I enjoy living on remote tropical islands. But...

There are times when I would like to be back in San Francisco or Chicago or even Bali. When is a tropical island too remote?

When...

1. you want a double cheeseburger and a large order of fries from McDonalds.

2. you have an overwhelming hardware store attack (this may only be understood by men).

3. you've read each of the books in your personal library three times.

4. you'd like to talk to someone who speaks English and does not work with you.

5. you'd like to have a discussion with someone who reads non-fiction books.

6. you'd sell your youngest child for a container of fresh pasteurized milk.

7. you'd like to buy a few packs of baseball cards to see if you can get an Albert Pujols.

8. reading a Sunday Times in bed seems like the height of living.

9. having a telephone in your house seems really important.

10. you can forget that Bush is still the president of the United States.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog and I figured you'd be interested in advancing your life a bit, call us at 1-206-339-5106. No tests, books or exams, easiest way to get a Bachelors, Masters, MBA, Doctorate or Ph.D in almost any field.

Totally confidential, open 24 hours a day.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Yours truly said...

Hello Bruce, really enjoy reading your blog. My wife is from Indonesia and I have long thought of returning there myself (we are living in Australia) and Singaraja is just like one of my other old haunts, Georgetown on the island of Penang, and I would really like to explore that option next time I head up to Lovina. Also read you lived in PNG. Where abouts there? I spent seven years there. Perhaps we could meet up when I am in Singaraja. Cheers Peter riverbend@hotkey.net.au

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment Peter,

I lived on the Indonesian side of New Guinea. Let me know when you get to Singaraja. Be glad to meet up.

Regards,

Bruce