Friday, October 20, 2006

The long, winding road - conclusion

8:00 A.M. We reach the harbor at Kayangan in Lombok. My goals are to get petrol at one of the stations that has nice bathrooms and isn’t crowded, to get to the harbor at Lembar before 11:00, and to not have an accident while crossing the island.

10:25 A.M. We reach Lembar, but they’ve changed the harbor, and I can’t figure out where the car line is. After asking several official looking folks, we find that they have a small parking area for sedans. All the cars that are waiting are lined up in the front of the small space. I see that if I move behind one of the cars in the front, I’ll actually be in the back. I take an Indonesian approach and park in the last front spot effectively making it impossible for any incoming cars to park in the lot. The fellow that took our money when we entered the harbor told us that the next ferry would depart at 11:00. The kids are wide awake by this time and fan out among the small warungs looking for snacks. I light up a cigarette and chat with the three guys in the Fuji Photo truck. Their coming back from a tip to Sumbawa. We talk about the weather in Sumbawa (it’s really dry isn’t it; yes I haven’t had water in our house for three days now). They somewhat unobtrusively sniff the air. Apparently I don’t smell all that bad as we continue our conversation. They suggest going up to Singaraja (how do you know I’m going there? Your plates!).

11:30 A.M. We’re on the ferry. Trucks and buses get on first. I’m the last sedan that they let on and it takes 15 minutes to maneuver my car in so that it fits. I have to crawl out the back window due to an inability to open the doors. I’m silently hoping that my car won’t be the extra weight that sinks the ferry. My wife, ever thoughtful, rents foam mattresses for us to lay on the floor so that we can sleep. The kids run around for ten minutes and then immediately fall asleep. I lay down to rest my back, but stay wide awake for the next five hours of the trip.

5:30 P.M We reach Padangbai harbour in Bali. As we decamp, we’re pulled over by some officals. They want to see the car’s registration and my license. Which license, I say, in my most friendly tone. Your international one the short pudgy official responds. Sorry I don’t have one. Can you take one of my Indonesian ones? Apparently they don’t get many bules with Indonesian licenses. We enter into a conversation about how long I’ve been in Indonesia. He’s amused and sends us on our way.

6:00 P.M. We pass through Candidasa and stare at the few tourists on the street. We still have a long 2 plus hours to go before we reach Singaraja, but everyone is thrilled that we’re back in Bali. The kids are looking forward to seeing their cousins and aunts and uncles. I’m looking forward to a scotch and a shower and some sleep.
7:00 P.M. It’s dark and there’s traffic which makes a lot of demands on my diminished night vision. I take a left turn because it seems like that’s where the main road goes. Fifteen minutes later we’re up in the hills and obviously in desa land. The road suddenly disappears, and my wife makes the astute observation that I’ve taken a wrong turn. I carefully try to turn the car around without driving off the dirt road that has suddenly taken the place of the paved one.

8:00 P.M. Air Sanih, almost home. The kids who have been sleeping wake up and notice where we are. The littlest one sleepily asks if we’re home yet. Soon, I tell her, go back to sleep. She kicks her brother’s leg that he has draped over hers and goes back to sleep.

8:15 P.M. We reach the Singaraja city limits, and I start to relax. The traffic is heavy but the streets are lit so I can finally see where I am. The kids name off all the shops that we pass that they know. Yes, I say, almost home.

8:20 P.M. I take a right off of Jalan A. Yani and head on north to Kampung Bugis. I pull the car into the little parking space in front of the house. The kids are out of the car before it stops. Cousins and neighborhood friends all gather around. Everyone runs into the house. I open the back to unload all the goods that we’ve brought from Sumbawa. Despite my requests that my wife not pack a lot of unnecessary items, among the things that I have to carry in to the house are a 25 kg sack of rice, five black plastic garbage bags full of mangoes from our garden, and five dozen eggs.

Total traveling time 16 hours and 20 minutes. When I lived in Pakistan, it would take me 13 hours to get from there to Bali. Traveling in an archipelago – never a dull moment.

No comments: