Saturday, June 30, 2007

Ceremonies and getting things done in Paradise


Living in Paradise. It ain’t that easy. Why? Because it takes forever to do small things that tourists think are easy everyday things to do. One example: I wanted the box on the wall that I plug the phone in to, to be changed so that I could have the phone and the computer plugged in at the same time. No one knew what I meant even though I thought that I explained it fairly clearly. I found the little box today down in the south of Bali in the first store that I entered. I can do the installation myself, but the whole issue of purchasing it has taken six months (well I’ve been gone for six months so maybe it’s only taken me a month.

It’s called wasting time in Paradise. I asked for some mosquito curtains and there’s a person that makes good ones, but she’s off to ceremonies. I forget about it and expect that when she returns in a few days she’ll give me a call or my wife will call her. Six months down the road, we still don’t have them because she forgot to call my wife and my wife forgot to call her because …there are always ceremonies, regardless of religion in Bali there are always ceremonies. The Hindus have theirs, the Muslims have theirs, the Buddhists have theirs, the Christians have theirs. When you add them all up, the island seems to be on holiday or preparing for a holiday almost all the time

1 comment:

Preya said...

Hmmm, I've been meaning to write a similar post about chronemics and how time expectations vary from culture to culture, but I've been here for so long now that I've sort of forgotten the everyday frustrations you mention in your post (except for when I'm on the phone talking to a computer and trying to cancel some service...)