Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Animals


How many animals can you have? We have ducks, chickens, geese, birds, goats, dogs. I turned down an offer of buying baby sea turtles yesterday because they’re protected. It was one of those decisions of whether you buy them to protect them or not buy them to discourage people from selling them. I went with the not buying them.

A few years ago when I spent a lot of time swimming in the ocean here, I came across one territorial sea turtle who seemed to always be in the exact place on the beach where I wanted to swim. I’m someone who has a thing about sharks (think 10 years of living in northern California where you regularly get Great Whites who like to take chunks out of surfers), and I would think the turtle was a shark. Eventually we got used to each other, and (s)he would let me get within a fairly close distance and then swim away. It was one of those beautiful things about living out here in the “jungle” that you rarely get elsewhere.

I’m not sure how I’m going to get used to not having animals around when I retire to the house in Bali next year. The house is relatively small (compared to this one) and we have no extra land like we do here, and our neighbors in Bali are of the Muslim variety that think that dogs are haram. Dogs here aren’t haram; dogs in Pakistan aren’t haram – check out President Musharraf and his dogs.

One lovely story from the vacation in Bali. One of our neighbors is an excellent fisherman. He was out getting his boat ready to go out the next day and he saw a fin moving up close. He took it to be a shark at first glance and was about to spear it. Then he realized that it was a baby dolphin. He took the little guy up and put it in his boat and dropped it off 500 meters from shore because most fisherman in Bali won’t kill a dolphin. Why? Some interesting stories of dolphins saving guys who have been washed off their boats and have been saved by dolphins dragging them to shore.

No comments: