Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Singaraja, Buleleng, Bali: A City to Discover


Sometimes a bout of illness or a less than sparkling medical checkup can be a good thing, a call to make a few changes. I've mostly been in bed for the past three weeks with a nasty flu bug that turned into pneumonia, and my wife's recent checkup indicated that she needed to change her diet some and get more exercise. As we were discussing what we were going to do to get a bit healthier, I came across some advice on one of the medical websites that suggested walking 10,000 steps a day as a relatively easy way to get some exercise. Add that to my recent work in translating a thesis on the origins of the Bugis people and the development of Kampung Bugis (my home neighborhood), and I decided that it was about time to get out wandering around the city on foot. Generally, I travel by motorcycle, but with the traffic in Singaraja getting worse by the day (or so it seems), I miss a lot of the cool things around this city because I have to keep my eye on all the vehicles on the streets.

Singaraja, Bali
I love walking around cities. During my youth in Chicago, I walked all over the north side and the downtown area; I've taken extended walking tours of New York, San Francisco, Singapore, Bangkok, Amritsar, Lahore, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur and Manila. But I've done very little actual walking around my lovely city of Singaraja. The city dates back over 500 years, and while a lot of the old buildings have been torn down over the past several decades, there are still plenty of interesting sites to see while walking around Singaraja.

So, I've decided to get my exercise by taking some extended walks through the many neighborhoods here that I only zoomed through on my motorcycle. I'll be writing about the city as it exists now, and I'll be adding some historical information as well, both here and on my lifeinthetropics blog. So stop by and see what Singaraja is like for a long term foreign resident.

No comments: