Monday, May 29, 2006

Development in Sumbawa

This was one of those good weeks when we ended p with a three-day weekend. Having Friday off, I decided to drive up to Maluk (the next village north of here) to get my motorbike serviced. On the way home, I noticed a large billboard announcing a new hotel called Supersucks (after the famous surfing spot). Driving down a long, narrow rocky road (one of the worst roads that I have ever been on in Indonesia or anywhere else), I came upon the hotel which is under construction just off the beach.

Two of the owners where there, and I had a chance to talk to them about their plans for the hotel. It seems fairly amazing to me that some Americans would end up building a hotel in what's basically the middle of nowhere (although not exactly nowhere if you're a surfer). It was interesting to have a long discussion about the future of tourism in Sumbawa, land prices, construction issues, and cultural differences between Bali and Sumbawa.

The hotel should be up and running in a few months. I'll add some more information on my Sumbawa website as it becomes available. Best of luck to Matt and John on their venture.

My deepest condolences to the victims of this weekend's earthquake in Jogja.

No comments: