Monday, May 15, 2006

The Guru Goes to The Farm

For someone who was raised in an urban/suburban environment to enter the intellectual sector, life in Sumbawa has been one continual round of revelations, frustrations, and discoveries.

A three-day weekend is a good chance to catch up on some school work as well as see what work has been done around The Farm. We recently purchased a 30 are plot of land just across the road from our house for investment purposes (and because my wife liked the fruit trees growing on it). While we were checking out the orange, mango, and coconut trees on the new land, I realized that I hadn’t checked our back yard recently to see what our new gardener had done to it. Besides cutting all the grass on the 65 are, he’s planted 16 banana, 15 papaya, and 12 coconut trees.

For someone who grew up in Chicago, all of this green is quite enticing. We added another dog over the past week as well. Our animal count is now up to 2 dogs, 2 geese, 9 chickens, two birds, and 2 goats. As Su and I were sitting on the veranda last night discussing plans for The Farm, our noisy neighbors, the monkeys, showed up in the jungle. Now before I moved to Sumbawa I loved monkeys. When I lived in Pakistan, I had two rather large ones as companions. I had one for years in my house in Bali and she was a lovely pet. These monkeys are loud, irritating, nasty and dangerous. You’re your worst nightmare of the bad neighbor. Nothing like living in the jungle.

No comments: