Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Educational wiki use

My students started their first wiki work today. I found the wikiplaces wiki a week or so ago and have been thinking about how to use it, and which classes to use it with. If I remember correctly, I found the site by following a link from Susan Sedro's blog which is listed here in the links section.

We decided to go with the encyclopedia format and add some photos and text. I do have a question about photo use. The students are looking for photos that aren't copyrighted. I think that according to fair use, students can use photos if they give credit to the photographer. Anyone who can comment on that out there?

More on the wiki work later

3 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Bruce,
I'm delighted you found the wiki and are digging in. When I was setting up some of the country pages, I used Flickr. In Flickr we used the Creative Commons like. I used the search engine of the photos licensed with the By license. Under those terms, I can use any of the photos I pull up as long as I link back to the original and give the artist credit. I found some great photos.

Just a few weeks ago I started using it with my students. They are creating web pages and dearly want images that fit their interests. They are loving it.

If you need/want more info about any of the above, let me know.

Jenell Williams Paris said...

Hi! I found a very old post of yours while googling "Jens Bjerre." I'm an anthropologist at a college in Minnesota, and I'm showing Bjerre's Kalahari film in class. I can't figure out, however, whether or not Bjerre is a trained anthropologist. Or is he a traveler/explorer/writer?

Do you know? I'll check back and see if you answer, or you can reach me at jparis-at-bethel-dot-edu.

Thanks!!

Unknown said...

i think most common for any collab works is to post credit and links. So long as nobody objects, keep it up. Anyone object, then pull it back.

So long as you're not commercializing or claiming something not yours, i don't think it'll be a problem.

Where's the link, btw?