Monday, April 23, 2007

Health, smoking, irritability, and all those other annoying things

I’m off on another (and I hope last) attempt at stopping smoking. This time the attempt is the result of a recent visit to the Bumrungrad Hospital International Center for a complete physical. The good results were that I don’t have skin cancer; the bad results were that I’m pre-diabetic, am developing a cataract in my right eye, have high cholesterol, and may develop gallstones over the next few years. So the doctor told me to stop smoking, quit drinking alcohol, go on a diet for prediabetics, and get regular exercise.

For those of us who live in isolated places with limited access to resources like doctors and bookstores, the internet is a vital resource. I’ve been doing research on everything listed above. I’ve been able to track down diets, exercises, research, tips for living with diabetes – just about everything that I need to deal with my new health situation.

From my research, there is one factor that connects all of my health issues – smoking. So it seemed fairly obvious that I needed to stop smoking. As my eldest daughter put it, “if you want to see Meredith grow up, you better stop smoking.” So I’m on my seventh day now. It’s somehow easier (although it isn’t easy by any means) than before; perhaps because there is some concrete reason now to stop whereas before it was some abstract (to me anyway) threat of a future problem.

Irritability – my homeroom students (Grades 7 and 8) asked me the other day why I was so crabby. I replied that I didn’t think that I was any crabbier than usual, and they commented that it wasn’t just my usual old man crabbiness, but something special. So I let them know what was going on. Surprisingly they were surprised that I smoked, and all were glad that I was quitting. As I told them about the diagnosis of being prediabetic, they’ve been quite helpful with not offering me sweets like they often do, as well as reminding me not to eat sweets when they see me with a pack of Oreos.

The health issues are one of the main reasons that we are trying to sell the house here in Sumbawa. Once I retire, I won’t be able to access Newmont’s clinic which means that I’ll be at the mercy of the very minimal medical facilities available here. For anything major, I’ll need to go to Mataram (over on the next island) as the closest (a 7 hour car and ferry trip). It makes more sense for us to move to the house on Bali for that reason alone. There are other reasons for the sale as well, but more on that later.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Good luck with this. Glad to hear you have a team cheering you on. (And good luck with the chicks and ducklings. Even if the weather doesn't change, they make it sound like spring.)