Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Podcasting and other computer projects at our school


We completed our first podcast last week; it was in an interview between two eighth graders here. One is from the international school and the other is from the national school. I have the podcast up on my cyberbali.com site for now as we can’t access the server for our schoolweb site as we need to ftp files over 500K and the company won’t let us use ftp. I also put a link up on the Education Podcast Network. It seems like it works, but there’s something wrong with the rss feed – well, it works but it looks funny. As I’ve written other rss files that have worked, I must have done something wrong with it as it was the first xml file that I tried. I’ll try to clean it up in a week or two.

We played the podcast over the school emergency broadcast system, and other than trying to get the sound on the system right, it worked well and the students liked it. Every class is working on podcasting now. I have the first/second grade combination working on them as well. They are looking forward to hearing themselves on a Friday morning.

After we’re done with this project, I’m going to have students work on developing an internet presence where they can save websites that they need. I started working on delicious, and I’m going to look into working with that again. It was a bit complicated for some of the students, but I think that if I introduce it very slowly this time, the majority of them will be able to handle it.

The photo actually has nothing to do with this post. It's my second daughter dressing up for one of the independence day activities last week.

No comments: