Monday, September 10, 2007

The Dry Season

We’re deep in to the dry season and, once again, there’s no water. We’re doing a somewhat regular routine of two days of no running water and then two days of a little running water – just enough so that we can fill up jerry cans and tanks and tubs to last for the days of no water. The word is that the village is going to dig another well – I hope so.

Despite not having much water, our tomato crop is in, and we have hundreds of fresh tomatoes along with a few heads of cauliflower and some pumpkins. I’ve eaten the tomatoes and cauliflower – for some reason I didn’t get any of the pumpkins. I’m looking forward to mango season which should be here in a few months.


We have two more really hectic weeks before our two-week vacation. Vacation corresponds with part of Ramadan; so the two weeks that I’m going to be on vacation are two of the four weeks that I’ll be fasting. I’ll be in Bali for those two weeks to see Mercedes, my oldest daughter, and to take care of some of the business that needs to be done before retirement. On this trip, I’ll be getting photos ready for the retirement visa documents. I want all the paperwork prepared several months before I’ll need it, so this will be my key focus during this vacation. I’ll also do some school work as usual – lesson plans for the next term, some work on new tech things that I want to do, and some writing. When I’m fasting in Bali, I rarely leave the house for more than an hour or so as it’s just too hot usually.

We’ve had a few people contact us who are interested in buying the house. The question now is whether to sell it now or rent it out for a few years and then sell it later. That’s something that Su and I will probably be discussing for the next few months.

No comments: