Monday, September 17, 2007

Ramadan, Fasting, and Thinking of Bali

A Ramadan Saturday. We all woke up at 3:30 am to have breakfast and then went back to sleep. It’s one of those days when none of us have to work or go to school. Su and I got out of bed at 7 and I started watching the Yankees and Red Sox. It looked like the Yankees were going to go down, but the Yankees came back in the 8th and took the lead. Mariano came in to work the 9th and the leadoff hitter immediately got on base, but Mariano struck out the next batter and the fourth batter to end the inning and the game. Nice to see the Yankees beat the Red Sox. The game finished just at noon. What a monster – five hours. Fortunately I have nothing special to do today except fast and do a little school work. Sam and Rebecca are both fasting as well.

We’re all getting psyched up about going to Bali next Saturday, and Mercedes really misses being around her immediate family so it’s going to be great for all of us. The drive over should be interesting as we’ll all be fasting, but travelers get an exemption for the day of their trip which they can make up later. The kids will probably take it; I’m not sure about Su and me. Once we begin fasting, we like to keep it up rather than break the string for a special reason.

According to internet reports, there are supposed to be over 100 yachts anchored along the north coast next week. If so there will probably be a number just in front of our house – that should prove to be interesting. Other than that, I don’t think that there will be much going on while I’m in Bali. Mostly I’ll be working on the websites, getting photos taken for my visa next year, visiting a few friends, getting my Mac set up, fixing a few more windows on the third floor, and just hanging out seeing what Mercedes is doing. I want to get a look at her campus as well while I’m there.

Since Ramadan started every morning on my way to work, I pass groups of people out walking along the road on their way to the beach. Early morning exercise. I want to do that next year when I'm retired.

No comments: